Sunday, January 20, 2013

Long weekend

Our weekend plans were changed in a hurry thanks to the wonderful Norovirus.  Friday morning we got up, loaded the truck with our suitcases and the dog to head to Albany.  I was really excited to meet Nathan and get out of the house for a long weekend.  Chris took Friday off so we could have a 3 night/4 day trip.  Evan had his usual bottle of milk, then walked in the kitchen and threw it up.  I thought it was odd, since he'd never done that before but he also didn't eat much dinner the night before. I was hoping it was just too much milk on an empty stomach.  So we kept plans "as is" but I packed a bowl, plastic bags and a roll of paper towels just in case.  40 minutes down the road he started throwing up again. This time he didn't have anything in his stomach but the paper towels were a life saver.  Chris took the next exit off I-84 and I called the hotel to cancel our reservations :(  Then called Becky to tell her we couldn't come after all.
 
Evan's spot on the couch for the last 3 days. 
 
Saturday afternoon I took him to urgent care because he was crying non stop for over an hour.  He acted like his stomach hurt really bad and I figured he was dehydrated even though I was trying to encourage him to drink Pedialyte all day long.  When we chatted with the PA at urgent care, she sent us to the ER.  I guess the office was not set up for giving IV fluids to a pediatric patient.  We got right in, since urgent care and called to say we were coming.  The ER doctor did his assessment and said if Evan could keep some fluids down while we were there, that he would not put in an IV.  I guess Evan was mildly dehydrated but not enough for the traumatic experience an IV would cause. So after 2 hrs and 5 diapers later...he drank 2 oz pedialyte, 1/4 of the big Popsicle above and a few sips of 7up.  We were sent home with instructions to come back if he got worse.
 
I ordered some dog supplies from Dr. Foster & Smith. Look what came :)
Just kidding of course. She thought the box was lots of fun.
 
Taken this morning.  I think Chester was trying to make him feel better. 
Evan would rather pet the cat than the dog.
 
 
Today has been much the same....minus throwing up.  I've washed the couch twice (now there is plastic down) and multiple loads of laundry.  I've had to change both of our clothes twice today.  Since the doctor was interested in diaper number, which to me does not say much since they are not heavy at all, I am calculating his I's & O's. So far today we are 27 ounces in and about 25.6 ounces out (Yes I am weighing his diapers).

1 comment:

  1. Agh poor Evan . . . and you!! We sure missed you guys. We ended up staying home from church since the flu is in the air over here. Thankfully we are all well so far!!

    ReplyDelete